Currently Hiring | Solution Engineer
IP Services, Eugene’s premier data center and managed services provider, is looking for a full time Solution Engineer in the Eugene area.
Eugene is a great place to call home just 90m south of Portland, with a great cost of living, an hour from the coast, and minutes from the pristine outdoors. Many IT people from Portland, Seattle, and the Bay Area have found Eugene to be the ideal balance of work and play.
At IP Services, we provide managed IT services to our clients, built on proven methodologies and best practices. We focus on doing that as awesomely as possible. We are a highly collaborative, team-oriented workplace. We’re nimble, technology forward, and process focused. We literally wrote the book on ITIL and Visible Ops: https://itpi.org/the-visible-ops-book-series/visible-ops-handbook-review/
IP Services is a managed services provider specializing in managing business-critical applications with high-availability and/or audit compliance requirements.
Solution Engineer Job Responsibilities:
- Serves customers by identifying their needs and engineering adaptations of solutions, products, equipment, and services.
- Identifies current and future customer service requirements by establishing personal rapport with potential and actual customers and others in a position to understand service requirements.
- Provides product, service, or equipment technical and engineering information by answering questions and requests.
- Establishes new accounts and services accounts by identifying potential customers and planning and organizing sales call schedule.
- Prepares cost estimates by studying all related customer documents, consulting with engineers, architects, and other professional personnel.
- Determines improvements by analyzing cost-benefit ratios of equipment, supplies, or service applications in customer environment and engineering or proposing changes in equipment, processes, or use of materials or services.
- Gains customer acceptance by explaining or demonstrating cost reductions and operations improvements.
- Submits orders by conferring with technical support staff and costing engineering changes.
- Prepares sales engineering reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing sales information and engineering and application trends.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, and participating in professional societies.
- Contributes to sales engineering effectiveness by identifying short-term and long-range issues that must be addressed, recommending options and courses of action, and implementing directives.
- Engages with project management to create implementation plans and schedules of solutions and services.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
Solution Engineer Qualifications / Skills:
- Problem solving
- Product knowledge
- Selling to customer needs
- Software requirements
- Product development
- Presentation skills
- General programming skills
- Technical understanding
- Verbal communication
- Requirement’s analysis
Education, Experience, and Certification Requirements:
- BA/BS University degree with a concentration in marketing, promotions, advertising sales, or business administration preferred, but not required. Relevant experience is also considered.
- 3 to 5 years of industry sales experience.
- Familiarity with a broad range of technologies, not limited to datacenter environments, Networks, Firewalls, Switches, Servers, SANs, Telecom Circuits, Microsoft, Linux/Unix and other office software applications and telephony / VOIP based systems – see list below.
The candidate’s technical knowledge and experience will be evaluated against the following list of position requirements.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of advanced network technologies
- Demonstrated working knowledge of the TCP/IP protocol stack including IPv4
- Prior experience managing production IP networks
- Prior experience planning for and provisioning production IP networks
- Demonstrated advanced knowledge of dynamic routing protocols, including OSPF and BGP
- Working knowledge of highly available routing solutions involving the use of HSRP and VRRP
- Prior experience configuring Cisco and Juniper Layer 3 switch/routers
- Demonstrated advanced knowledge of switched networks, including spanning tree technologies such as STP, RSTP, MSTP, and PVST
- Prior experience configuring Cisco and Juniper Layer 2 switches
- Prior experience configuring load balancers, packet shapers, WAN accelerators
- Demonstrated working knowledge of designing, implementing and managing network and host-based information security solutions, including firewalls, intrusion detection systems, and intrusion prevention systems
- Prior experience configuring Cisco, Juniper, Fortinet and other firewalls, IDS, IPS
- Demonstrated working knowledge of PCI, HIPAA, SOX standards, data privacy practices and laws
- A high aptitude for learning new technologies and applying theoretical knowledge to solve real-world problems and capture real world opportunities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Ability to effectively influence and communicate cross-functionally with all levels of company management
- CCNP, CCDP, CCIP, CCSP, CCIE (Cisco), JNCIS, JNCIP, JNCIE (Juniper) NSE’s (Fortinet)
- CISM, CISSP, CISA, Other Security Certs
- Microsoft Certifications
- Linux/Ubuntu/ Red Hat/Fedora
Additional Desirable Experience
- Network Security technologies including host and network-based firewalls and IDS/IPS systems, and VPN management
- Unix/Linux based servers, Windows Servers, networked applications, databases, and data storage/retrieval systems
- Nutanix, VMWare, KVM, and other server and desktop virtualization technologies
- SANs, NAS, tape systems, and other data storage technologies, including backup software and deduplication technologies
- IT management technologies such as ITSM, remote monitoring, change management, change detection, reporting, and configuration management systems
Does this describe you? (Personal Attributes)
- You have proven technical talents including five or more years of recent work experience providing highly available networks to business customers.
- You exhibit strong leadership skills with high ethical standards.
- You thrive in an environment where you are challenged to multitask in order to meet multiple goals with varying time frames.
- You have a passion for technology and for best practices driven IT management processes.
- You willingly take ownership for results when assigned a task, goal, or objective.
- You have demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced work environment.
- You are looking for the opportunity to grow with a team of extraordinary, like-minded professionals.
- You are committed to continuous process improvement.
Additional Requirements (for all positions)
- Available to work full time
- Ability to be on-call on a rotating basis
- Willing to work weekends and/or evenings
- High-speed (broadband) internet access from home
- Must speak fluent English
- Able to pass background check
- Able to pass drug test
If you are ready to take the next great step in your career journey, submit your resume with cover letter and business references.