It is a wonderful and joyful time of the year, but unfortunately, it’s also a busy time for cybercriminals to take advantage of you.
The National Retail Federation (and IP Services!) would remind you of these simple precautions:
- Keep a clean machine – make sure whatever device you use for online shopping has the latest malware updates.
- Use secure Wi-Fi – it’s super convenient to shop while having coffee at your favorite spot, but using a public W-Fi is not cyber safe.
- Lock down your login – use long and unique passphrases and multi-factor authentication when possible
- Resist the urge – remember the old “if it seems to good to be true” – buy only from trusted and established online retailers
- Think before you click – don’t open emails from unknown senders
- Shop securely – look for that s in https in your browser address bar – sites without the s are not safe to submit payment information to
- Pay wisely – use a credit card or pre-paid debit cared instead of a debit card linked to your primary account
- Monitor your accounts – check your online financial accounts regularly for suspicious activity
And once you have shopped securely, have yourself a most wonderful Holiday!